The holiday season is upon us. With Thanksgiving right around the corner, and Christmas and New Year’s not too far behind it, the holiday season is certainly a busy time of year for family get-togethers, shopping and gift-giving, parties, and travel.
Here are some upcoming festive events in Cape May County happening throughout the month of November that you don’t want to miss.
1. Exit Zero Jazz Festival in Cape May: Since its debut in 2012, this event has become one of the most respected and anticipated music festivals in the world. Beginning on Friday, November 9th and running through Sunday, November 18th, the E0IJF event will host performances by over 100 international musicians. Performances will be held throughout Cape May County, including the Cape May Convention Hall and other local venues. If you enjoy jazz, R&B, and blues, and you haven’t ever been “jazz hopping”, here is your chance.
Beginning Friday, November 16th until January 1st, 2019, you can take advantage of the Holiday Preview Weekend, 44th Annual Christmas Candlelight House Tours, plus Lamplighter Christmas Tours, Ghosts of Christmas Past Trolley Rides, Emlen Physick Estate Christmas Tours, Holiday Inns Tours, Evening Holiday Lights Trolley Rides, Evening Ghosts of Christmas Past Trolley Rides, Santa’s Trolley Rides, and more.
For more information on any specific event(s), call 609-884-5404 or 800-275-4278, or visit www.capemaymac.org to learn more.
3. Cape May Holiday Preview Weekend: On the other hand, if you can’t wait to kick off the holiday season, here is your chance! On Friday, November 16th through Sunday, November 18th, check out the Physick Estate to see what Santa and his elves have been up to!
Physick Estate has been decorated with thousands of lights and holiday trimmings. Stop by to admire the lights and decorations as well as a wide variety of holiday tours and food and wine events to get you into the holiday spirit. Santa will be kicking off the weekend with the festive Tree-Lighting Ceremony on Sunday, November 18th.
The Estate will also be open for free, self-guided tours. Bring the kids for a chance to meet Santa and to also enjoy a ride on Santa’s Trolley.
4. Earlier Than the Bird Downtown Shopping Extravaganza in Ocean City: Eager to kick off your holiday shopping before Thanksgiving and Black Friday? Be earlier than the early bird and start your holiday shopping downtown Ocean City. You can take advantage of some supreme shopping specials starting on Saturday, November 17th.
5. Festival of Trees in Avalon: Visit the Whitebriar in Avalon to see more than 30 trees and wreaths decorated by various island businesses. Trees and wreaths will be on display for viewing and available for auction on November 21st, 2018. Visit www.visitavalonnj.com to learn more.
6. Christmas in the Downtown “Our Miracle on Asbury Avenue” in Ocean City: The Ocean City Chamber of Commerce kicks off the annual “old-fashioned Downtown Christmas” event the day after Thanksgiving, Friday, November 23rd, 2018.
7. Festive Friday in Avalon: Visit the shopping district in Avalon to celebrate “Festive Friday” on Friday, November 23rd, 2018. This event will feature more than 40 different holiday activities for all ages, and for the entire family.
8. Holiday Extravaganza: Visit Sea Isle City for this year’s Holiday Extravaganza. The event kicks off with a holiday parade at 6 pm on Friday, November 23rd. The parade ends at Excursion Park, which will feature decorated fire trucks and an ice skating rink (open from 4 pm until 9 pm). Don’t miss the Mayor and Santa Claus lighting the holiday tree!
On Saturday, November 24th, celebrate Small Business Saturday. For every $20 you spend, you will receive a raffle ticket to win a big screen TV.
9. Stone Harbor Island Holiday: Looking for fun for the whole family? Pay a visit to Stone Harbor Island to enjoy a pet parade, scavenger hunt, merchant’s hospitality night, and various family activities. This event begins on Friday, November 23rd and ends on Saturday, November 24th.
10. Holiday Crafts Fair at the Cape May Convention Hall: If you are looking for unique, handmade gifts, then this event is a great way to make a dent in your holiday shopping. The Holiday Crafts Fair is a perfect place to find everything you’re looking for, including seasonal decorations. The crafts fair will be held at the Cape May Convention Hall on Friday, November 23rd through Saturday, November 24th.
For more information, call 609-884-5404, 800-275-4278, 609-884-9565 or visit www.capemaymac.org or www.discovercapemaynj.com.
11. Snowfest Saturday in Avalon: Looking for something fun and festive to do while the family is in town for Thanksgiving? Take the family to Avalon for Snowfest Saturday on Saturday, November 24th and enjoy Santa’s workshop prizes, frosted festival games, skating rink, train rides and much more. For more information call 609-967-3936 or visit www.avalonboro.net.
12. Cape May City Christmas Tree Lighting: It’s that time of year again… Kick off the Christmas season with the annual Cape May City Christmas Tree Lighting on November 30th, 2018 at the Victorian Bandstand in Rotary Park on Lyle Lane in Cape May at 7 pm. Call 609-884-9565 or visit www.discovercapemaynj.com to learn more.
13. Tree Lighting Celebration at the Cape May County Zoo: Do you love the holiday season and animals? Don’t miss the Tree Lighting Celebration at the Cape May County Zoo on November 30th, 2018 at 5 pm. This is a relatively new annual celebration enjoyed by residents and visitors alike. This event will also feature live holiday music, a story reading, treats for the children, and a visit by Santa himself. Visit www.cmczoo.com.
The holiday season is certainly a busy time of year. In fact, it can be so busy that we often forget to enjoy it. Regardless of whether you are trying to jumpstart your holiday shopping or enjoy some family time, Cape May County has a full schedule of festive events for all ages and offers plenty of opportunities to enjoy the holiday season.